Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Overview and User Interface

Okay, so I know I said this post would be about spaceships but in the interest of giving you an informed and unbiased opinion, I've reached out to a few Rebels and asked for their perspective on the various weapon systems available. Deciding what weapon you want to use is the first step in identifying what ship you want to fly.

So in the mean time keep pluggin in those core skills and lets talk overview/UI...

The User Interface...
...or UI is how you interact with your surroundings. It is important to find a setup that works best for you and your system's capabilities. I play EVE on a 15" Mac Book Pro, which I find very limiting as far as screen space goes. I have to really think about what chat channels are necessary and which are luxuries, what tools are essential to my success and which ones are superfluous. Some things you should always have displayed are the Local Channel, D-Scan, Overview, and Item Selection Buttons. These windows should be opened and pinned no matter what... Now I'd like to direct you to one of the most informative blogs around, The Altruist, written by the former Director of Agony Unleashed's PVP University, Azual Skoll. His most recent post deals with setting up your UI and I highly recommend you take a look at. I especially like the idea of the "Gutter" and, even with my limited screen size, I've recently incorporated it into my UI settings. Azual's guide is a great place to start and then you can adjust the UI to suit your needs.

K.I.S.S.: Keep it Simple Stupid

The Overview...
... is one of the most important tools in the game. How you have it set will be determined on your mission/role in a fleet or whatever the fuck you are doing. There are an infinite number of wrong ways to set this damn thing, which could easily result in the death of your buddy at your own hands. Mr. Skoll mentioned in his UI post that he is working on an overview post as we speak... Definitely watch out for it! Until then, this is the guide I used... EVE UNI OVERVIEW GUIDE. Again, this guide will provide you with a great foundation for your overview, as well as give you an understanding of how the overview can be manipulated. You can then adjust it to suit your needs.


You, you, and you... Get in the fuckin pit and operate my modules!





No comments:

Post a Comment